Current:Home > MySurpassing Quant Think Tank Center|US confirms role in identifying alleged terrorist plot for Taylor Swift shows -Capitatum
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center|US confirms role in identifying alleged terrorist plot for Taylor Swift shows
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-05 19:06:34
U.S. officials have Surpassing Quant Think Tank Centerconfirmed their role in identifying a suspected terrorist plot planned for a Taylor Swift concert in Vienna this weekend.
During a Friday briefing, White House National Security Communications Advisor John Kirby said the U.S. provided information to Austrian authorities, who have made several arrests in relation to the alleged foiled attack.
"We work closely with partners all over the world to monitor and disrupt threats," Kirby said. "And so as part of that work, the United States did share information with Austrian partners to enable the disruption of a threat to Taylor Swift's concerts there in Vienna."
Three people have been arrested in relation to the suspected terrorist plot. The suspects are an 18-year-old Iraqi national, a 19-year-old Austrian living in a town near the Hungarian border, and a 17-year-old boy who had been hired by a company that was to provide services to the Ernst Happel Stadium.
A 15-year-old was questioned by police about his possible role in the scheme. According to the Vienna-based Kurier newspaper, the 15-year-old was allowed to go home after being questioned as a witness and was not considered a suspect.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
What we know about the alleged terrorist plot planned for Taylor Swift's shows
On Wednesday, after Vienna Federal Ministry of the Interior officials confirmed arrests were made in relation to "planned attacks at major events," Swift's three planned shows at Vienna's Ernst Happel Stadium on Thursday, Friday and Saturday were canceled "for everyone's safety," according to the Austrian shows' promoter.
Swift has yet to speak out on the alleged terrorist plot.
Austrian security officials said the 19-year-old suspect had been consuming Islamist propaganda and planned an attack on fans involving "bladed weapons as well as the construction of a bomb," according to a press release provided by the Vienna Federal Ministry of the Interior on Thursday.
During a search of his home, officials found "chemical substances, liquids, explosive and technical devices that could be used to manufacture explosives," said Franz Ruf, director general for public security. Bomb-making instructions and machetes were also found.
'Inspiring and healing':Thousands of fans flood Vienna streets to sing Taylor Swift hits
"He wanted to carry out an attack in the area outside the stadium, killing as many people as possible using the knives or even using the explosive devices he had made," according to national intelligence head Omar Haijawi-Pirchner.
The suspect, who had recently quit his job and said he had "big plans," swore allegiance to ISIS and fully confessed to the charges against him, officials said. Austrian authorities are not searching for any more suspects.
London's Metropolitan Police has confirmed Swift's five concerts at Wembley Stadium next week should not be impacted.
Contributing: Michael Collins and Brendan Morrow, USA TODAY; Rachel More and Miranda Murray, Reuters
veryGood! (45753)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Sinéad O'Connor's estate slams Donald Trump for using 'Nothing Compares 2 U' at rallies
- Deputies fatally shot a double-murder suspect who was holding a chrome shower head
- DeSantis names Disney World admin to run elections in Democratic Orange County
- FBI: California woman brought sword, whip and other weapons into Capitol during Jan. 6 riot
- Kate Middleton Spotted Out for First Time Since Abdominal Surgery
- NFL free agency: When does it start? What is legal tampering period?
- Idina Menzel wishes 'Adele Dazeem' a happy birthday 10 years after John Travolta gaffe
- PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
- Masked gunmen kill 4, wound 3 at outdoor party in central California, police say
Ranking
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Former Trump CFO Allen Weisselberg pleads guilty to perjury in ex-president’s civil fraud trial
- Denver Broncos inform QB Russell Wilson they’ll release him when new league year begins
- Historic Texas wildfire threatens to grow as the cause remains under investigation
- A New York Appellate Court Rejects a Broad Application of the State’s Green Amendment
- Nikki Haley wins Washington, D.C., Republican primary, her first 2024 nominating contest win
- The Best Leakproof Period Underwear That Actually Work, Plus Styles I Swear By
- Police search for 3 suspects after house party shooting leaves 4 dead, 3 injured in California
Recommendation
Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
New York City nearly resolves delays in benefits to thousands of low income residents, mayor says
Rotting bodies, fake ashes and sold body parts push Colorado to patch lax funeral home rules
Congressional candidates jump onto ballot as qualifying begins for 2024 Georgia races
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
France becomes the only country in the world to guarantee abortion as a constitutional right
JetBlue, Spirit ending $3.8B deal to combine after court ruling blocked their merger
Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr reunite at Stella McCartney's Paris Fashion Week show